Canada Learning Bond

Get up to $2,000 for your child's Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)—without having to put in any of your own money!

The Canada Learning Bond offered by the Government of Canada helps parents get a head start in saving for their child's education after high school.


Check out the Canada Learning Bond brochure, Get $500 for Your Child's Future.

The money you get for your child could include:

  • $25 to help cover the cost of opening the RESP;
  • $500 to add to the RESP now, to help you start saving early; and
  • an extra $100 each year until the calendar year he or she turns 15.

Why save now? The sooner you start saving for your child's education after high school, the more money he or she will have later, since saved money collects interest over time.

After high school, your child can withdraw the money to help pay for either full-time or part-time studies:

  • in an apprenticeship program;
  • at a CEGEP;
  • at a trade school;
  • at a college; or
  • at a university.

Note: If a child does not attend school after high school, any grant money received must be paid back to the Government of Canada.


The Canada Learning Bond is available to children who were born after December 31, 2003 and whose families receive the National Child Benefit Supplement. (The Supplement is over and above the Canada Child Tax Benefit and is usually received by lower-income families.)

Find out if you qualify for the Canada Learning Bond

If you are not sure whether you receive the National Child Benefit Supplement, consult your Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice of Determination. If you are the primary caregiver, you can also visit "My Account" - available through the Canada Revenue Agency Web site or by calling the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

Who is the primary caregiver?

A primary caregiver is the person who is in charge of a child’s care. That person also receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit. In most cases, the mother is the primary caregiver.

If you opened an RESP and are not the primary caregiver, then you must ask him or her to complete their portion of the application form. If they don’t do this, the child cannot get the Canada Learning Bond.

Frequently Asked Questions

Get the answers you need to better understand the Canada Learning Bond.

Apply for the Canada Learning Bond

Follow these two easy steps:

  1. Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for yourself and your child. There's no fee; but certain documents, such as a birth certificate, are required.
  2. Open an RESP with a provider who offers the Canada Learning Bond.

Note: Not all RESP providers offer the Canada Learning Bond. To find one who does, consult this list of providers.

Once your application is approved, the Canada Learning Bond will be deposited directly into your child's RESP every year that he or she is eligible. (Once you have applied, it is renewed automatically each year.) The Bond is usually paid in the month of August.

If you do not qualify for the Canada Learning Bond, you can receive the Canada Education Savings Grant.