Questions for RESP Providers
It's a good idea to ask these questions before choosing a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) Provider.
- Once I have opened an RESP, will I have to pay any fees? If so, what are they for and how much will I have to pay?
- Do I have to put a minimum amount of money into an RESP?
- Do I have to make regular payments?
- What happens if I can't make regular payments?
- What are my investment choices? What are the benefits of each choice? Can the value of my investment go down?
- Can I withdraw money if I need it? Are there any fees or penalties for withdrawing money early?
- Can I transfer the RESP to another person, or to another RESP provider? What is the cost to transfer?
- What will happen to my savings in the RESP if my child does not continue his or her education after high school?
- Does the RESP provider limit the types of qualified educational programs that I can use my RESP for?
- What happens if I close my RESP early?
- What if my child decides to go to school part-time?
- Does the RESP provider offer all education savings incentives, including the additional Canada Education Savings Grant and Canada Learning Bond?