Canada Education Savings Grant - How do I Apply?
A grant without strings
In Val-d'Or, Quebec, David and Rachel were taking steps to open an RESP for their newborn, Julie. The sooner, the better, they thought, but they figured their combined salaries would disqualify them from also getting the Canada Education Savings Grant. Not true, they learned from their caisse populaire. No matter what your net family income, the government contributes some money to the RESP.
It's a simple 2-step process.
The grant will be deposited directly into your child's RESP.
How do I apply for the additional grant?
- Contact your Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) provider to ensure that they offer the Additional Canada Education Savings Grant (A-CESG).
- Have your RESP provider fill in the Additional Canada Education Savings Grant Form to find out if your child is eligible.
What is the Additional Canada Education Savings Grant Form?
The grant form gives consent to the Government of Canada to verify the family income of the Primary Caregiver to determine if your child is eligible to receive the A-CESG. The form is available online:
For more information:
- Contact 1 800 O-Canada (1 800 622-6232).
- If you use a TTY, call 1 800 926-9105
- Or visit a Service Canada Centre near you.
Be sure to visit these pages to learn more.
- Brochure: Canada Education Savings Grant
Read up on this Government of Canada grant.
- Special Rules for Children Aged 15 to 17
Be aware of special conditions for RESPs when your child is between 15 and 17 years of age.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Canada Education Savings Grant
Discover everything you need to know about the Canada Education Savings Grant.