Grant for Part-Time Students with Dependants
Am I eligible?
You are eligible if you:
- apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan;
- are enrolled in a part-time program of at least 12 weeks duration within a period of 15 consecutive weeks at a designated post-secondary institution;
- have a dependant who will be less than 12 years old at the beginning of the study period;
- have an assessed need that exceeds the Grant for Part-Time Studies (which provides a maximum of $1,200); and
- borrowed at least $4,000 in Canada Student Loans.
Important: Exceptions can be made for low-income students with dependants 12 or older who have a disability.
- A maximum of $40 per week of study if you have one or two dependants;
- A maximum of $60 per week of study if you have three or more dependants; or
- A maximum of $1,920 per academic year.
- This grant is available for each year of post-secondary studies, provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria. This includes post-secondary studies beyond the undergraduate level.
The amount provided under this grant will not exceed your assessed need.
How do I apply?
Your eligibility for the grant is assessed automatically when you apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan through your province or territory of permanent residence. Visit How to Obtain Government Student Loans for information about applying for a loan.