Eligibility for Loans and Grants
The Government of Canada works in partnership with most provinces and territories to deliver student financial assistance programs. The exceptions are Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut which operate their own student financial assistance programs.
When you qualify for a Canada Student Loan, you are automatically assessed for most Canada Student Grants that you may be eligible to receive.
Am I eligible for loans and grants?
To apply for government student loans and grants, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person;
- be a permanent resident of a province or territory that issues government student loans and grants*;
- demonstrate financial need;
- be enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program that runs for at least 12 weeks in a 15-week period and is offered by a designated post-secondary institution;
- be taking at least 60 percent of a full course load if you are a full-time student, or between 20 and 59 percent of a full course load if you are a part-time student;
- pass a credit check if you are 22 or older and are applying for student loans and grants for the first time; and
- not have exhausted your maximum lifetime limit of financial assistance, including interest-free status
In order to continue receiving student loans and grants each year you are in school, you will need to maintain satisfactory grades.
*The Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Quebec operate their own student financial assistance programs. If you are a resident of one of these jurisdictions, contact your student financial assistance office for more information.
Additional Criteria for Grants
Your eligibility for a grant is assessed automatically when you apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan. A separate application is required only for the Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities. To see a list of criteria that are considered for each grant, visit the following pages:
- Grant for Students from Low-Income Families
- Grant for Students from Middle-Income Families
- Grant for Students with Dependants
- Grant for Part-Time Studies
- Grant for Part-time Students with Dependants
- Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities
- Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities