Changes to Student Loans for B.C. Students
Student loans in B.C. are now easier than ever for borrowers to manage. The Governments of Canada and B.C. have integrated their full-time student financial assistance programs (Canada Student Loans Program and StudentAid BC). Federal and provincial student loans will now be managed as a single Canada – BC integrated student loan through the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC), and the B.C. portion of a student loan will now be eligible for the Repayment Assistance Plan. There's no change to the administration of Canada Student Loans and Grants for part-time students.
If you're a student loan borrower in B.C., you'll benefit from integration in a number of ways. If you're receiving a student loan this year, you'll:
- sign a single joint federal-provincial loan agreement (the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement) if you’re getting a loan for the first time;
- never have to sign another loan agreement again (some exceptions apply); and
- be able to check the status and balance of your loan in one place - the NSLSC.
If you're in repayment, you'll:
- make one monthly payment towards your integrated loan;
- be able to apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) on your entire loan if you’re having trouble paying it back (RAP was previously only available for the federal portion of your loan); and
- be able to check the status and balance of all your loan in one place - the NSLSC.
For more information on integration and how it affects you, read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
If you have questions about your loan, please contact:
- National Student Loans Service Centre Contact Information:
- StudentAid BC:
Toll-free Canada/US: 1-800-561-1818
Outside North America: + 1-250-387-6100