Canada Student Loan Rehabilitation
Have you Missed payments on Your Canada Student Loan?
Getting your student loan back on track is easier than you think. If you have missed payments on your student loan for more than 270 days and your loan is now in collection, you can get help. Canada Student Loan rehabilitation is your opportunity to bring your loan back into good standing.
What you Need to Know About Canada Student Loan Rehabilitation
Canada Student Loan rehabilitation brings the federal portion of your student loan out of collection and back into good standing. This allows you to access loans and grants or maintain an interest-free status on existing loans if you are returning to school, or repayment assistance if you aren’t returning to school and you need help paying back your loan.
Note: If you have filed for bankruptcy or there is legal action on your account, rehabilitation may not be available.
For the provincial or territorial portion of your loan, contact your loan provider in your province or territory of permanent residence for more information.
How to Rehabilitate Your Canada Student Loan
- Call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (1-866-864-5823)
- Ask for your outstanding Canada Student Loan balance (principal and interest).
- Arrange a monthly student loan payment schedule with the CRA.
- Pay all of the outstanding interest on all of your Canada Student Loan (in one lump sum OR through regular payments).
- Make the equivalent of two monthly payments on the principal amount owing (in one lump sum OR through regular payments).
- Fax a written rehabilitation request to the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP) Client Relations Office (1-877-615-4244). Your request must include:
- your name
- your full mailing address
- your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- a request to have your loan rehabilitated because you have:
- paid all outstanding interest on your loan(s); and
- made the equivalent of two monthly payments on the principal amount owing.
- Two business days after faxing your request, call the National Student Loans Service Centre (1-888-815-4514) and ask to speak with a CSLP officer to make sure your fax was received.
- Continue making your loan payments to the CRA until you receive further instruction from the CSLP.
If you have not received a letter from the Canada Student Loans Program within 20 business days, call the National Student Loans Service Centre (1-888-815-4514) and ask to speak with a CSLP officer about your loan rehabilitation.
Helpful Canada Student Loan Contact Information
- Toll free:
- English: 1-866-864-5823
- French: 1-866-864-5824
- Within North America:
- Outside of North America:
- Dial the international access code, followed by 800 2 225-2501 (toll free)
- Countries without an international access code:
- Call the Canadian operator at 0800 096 0634, then collect call 905-306-2950
Canada Student Loans Program - Written requests for loan rehabilitation
- Canada Student Loans Program
P.O. Box 2090, Station D
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6C6
- Toll free fax:
- Local Fax (National Capital Region)